Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Truth About Franks and Dogs

Ever wonder what food actually tastes like to kids? Well, if the blind hot dog tasting I just held is any indication, we're probably better off not knowing.

I held the tasting (for the parents as well) for an upcoming article for The Philadelphia Inquirer. There were 8 brands for the grown-ups to taste, but I offered just 4 to the under-5 set. The four were powerhouses Nathan's, Hebrew National, and Oscar Mayer, and then, just for kicks, Applegate Organic Uncured Beef dogs.

Here's what the kids had to say:

"Tastes like candles."

"Tastes like bad apple."

"Tastes like lemon."

No wonder kids never want to eat. I wouldn't want to eat either if food tasted like candles.

Some kids had a more positive spin:

"Tastes like chocolate."

"Really yummy."

"Thumbs up."

And from Declan, clearly a connoisseur: "I like D best because there is a D on the cup."

I'm so proud.

No comments: